Sep 5, 2005

One man's dream, another man's nightmare


Photo by FLICKR

"It is just beyond belief," says Mahony mid-tour. He looks up at the luminous patchwork of alabaster windowpanes that gives form to the cross behind the altar, and the river of information and exclamation that flows so easily from him lies quiet.

"I dreamed of how it would look," he says, still gazing upward. "But I never thought it could be so beautiful."

From "Mahony Shares His Delight at a Dream Made Manifest" By Mary McNamara, LOS ANGELES TIMES staff writer

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q,

I think the picture you posted is actually quite nice. In fact, a lot of the Cathedral is impressive and nice to look at. What's offensive is that it is a Catholic church building.

I love Springsteen, but I don't want to hear his songs used as hymns during Mass.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just me or does it feel like you are in an alien spaceship and they are saying "take me to your leader"

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That photo does not do the cathedral justice because it doesn't show just how catawampus the building is. Everything is so completely asymmetrical it hurts.

Yuck! I hate it!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Antiseptic, perhaps. Beautiful, not. A young child with a straight edge and a strong sense of symmetry (or not) could have designed the present soulless cathedral of L.A.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One man's trash is another man's treasure????

Well, it is a little beyond belief, come to think of it....

But 'beautiful'? They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Nothing I have seen so far, in my opinion, gives glory to God or lifts the soul to Him.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter