Sep 7, 2006

Two nominees for "great American Churchmen"

If you have been following the comments on recent posts here, you have noticed some comments about which bishops are "great American Churchmen."

Here are two nominees from me: The late Bishop Austin Vaughan and the late Bishop George E. Lynch. Why? They were fearless pro-life rescuers who each went to jail many times for taking part in peaceful, prayerful sit-ins that bought time for the babies, and saved many of them, by keeping abortionists from being able to get inside and begin their bloody trade.

Bishop Austin Vaughan and Bishop George E. Lynch bore stripes for Christ and the babies. They are heroes of the Faith. Maybe you know of them. Maybe you knew one or both of them. If you have any reminiscences about them, please tell us about them. Thank you in advance!

You can read about Bishop Vaughan here:
http://www.catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Homiletic/2001-04/priest.html

http://archive.recordonline.com/archive/2000/06/30/whaustin.htm

You can read about Bishop Lynch here:
http://www.truthtv.org/newstext.asp?newsid=1388

I wish both, or at least either, of these heroic pro-life bishops could have been among our hierarchy here in L.A. I also wish our current hierarchy in L.A. would be like them.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canonization wheels are already turning for my nominee as great American Churchman: Abp. Fulton J. Sheen.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear D,

What a great nonminee you've picked in Bishop Sheen!

What a great day that would be, his canonization!

Thank you for mentioning Bishop Sheen. Here is the official site:

http://www.archbishopsheencause.org

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bishop Vaughan introduced me to Bishop Lynch at the March on Washingon D.C.

Bishop Vaughan was one of our Spiritual Directors on earth and he still is from Heaven. As a matter of fact, I am looking at a picture of his beautiful Irish smile as I write this.

Even when he was very sick, he insisted on getting my phone calls, and I am sure many others' as well. He probably did not turn down anyone's phone calls.

We talked often about the Bishops. His greatest desire was to get well enough to go the Bishops' Meeting and fight inclusive language. He told me that just months before he passed on to his Eternal Reward.

He was very aware of the evil being brought upon the Church by the modernist.

When Clinton was way behind in the polls in his first Presidential Primary, we both agreed that because of our sins, Clinton would be the next President, unfortunately we turned out to be prophets.

I owe a great deal to my buddy Joe Scheidler who had me sit down with him and the Bishop for the first time in Washington, D.C.

When Joe asked me to sit down with him and the Bishop, I was reluctant because after all he was great Bishop. Joe assured me that the Bishop's greatest extended to his congeniality as well, that was an understatement if ever there was one!

I really can't say enought about this good kind but tough when it was necessary SHEPHERD OF SOULS.

Requiem et Aeternam good friend and Spiritual Advisor.

I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Archbishop Sheen, but I am sure that what I have said about Bishop Vaughan would apply to him as well.

God bless you Quinero for remembering these great Shepherds.

Kenneth M. Fisher

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that should have been "greatness extended.....

Kenneth M. Fisher

11:03 PM  
Blogger Quintero said...

Dear Kenneth,

Thank you very much for the news about your friendship with Bishop Austin Vaughan and Joe Scheidler and about meeting Bishop George Lynch. What heroes!

No doubt that in Heaven Bishop Vaughan is as much or even more a friend to you and to Concerned Roman Catholics of America as he was here in this vale of tears.

God bless, Kenneth!

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once I told Bishop Vaughan that I thought, based on thier actions, that most of his brother Bishops did not really beleive in Hell. He replied "Oh no Ken they believe in Hell, they just don't believe anyone goes there, and that is silly. Why would Our Lord go through the Hell he went through to save us from some place no one goes to!"

He also told me that the admonition against changing the Bible illustrated in the last paragraph of the Bible applies to his brother Bishops as well!

Kenneth M. Fisher

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter