Nov 28, 2005

L.A. preaching



Father Kevin Kester of St. Bede's Church in La CaƱada obviously considers himself a good preacher, but he doesn't like the preaching of his boss. Here's what he had to say in a recent homily ...

I went to a chrism Mass a few years ago. That's the Mass where the Cardinal blesses the oils. It's on Monday of Holy Week. I confess I really don't enjoy listening to the Cardinal preach. But this time I paid close attention and he really gave a very good homily, very nice words. But as I was listening I thought the man speaks in a monotone and his voice is pitched a little too high for someone who is as tall as he is and I think his voice gets in the way of his preaching. Uh. He may have a great message to give, but God didn't give him a really good gift of presenting that message. Uh. And if he were to ask for a gift that might be it. His giftedness in being Cardinal and bishop lies in other areas and he's doing an O.K. job. I'm not here to complain about the Cardinal at all but just to say that we have certain gifts. We have to use the gifts we have.

For once, Father Kester has said something true from the pulpit. He's right about the poor Cardinal, but I think he just may be delusional about himself.

You may listen to the entire homily HERE.

Here are other previously posted homilies of Father Kester:

-- The "I have a (pipe) dream" sermon. Click.

-- The "I don't believe everything the Catholic Church teaches" homily. Click.

-- The "I would not have voted for Ratzinger" homily. Click.

-- The "Rodney King" homily ("People, can't we just get along?"). Click.

-- The "Loosey-goosey Gospel" homily. Click.

-- The "What do Jeffrey Dahmer, a garbage disposal and the Eucharist have in common?" homily. Click.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to get an updated photo of Kester. He is really fat now and looks much older that he does in that pic.

I have been to his Masses and they are insufferable. I don't go to Bede's anymore.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine any decent priest pubicly criticizing his bishop, even if his bishop may be the worst bishop in the world.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Cardinal Mahony doesn't pull the plug on Kester for preaching heresy, you'd think he'd get rid of him for publicly insulting His Eminence.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's incredibly funny that this priest or his pastor would want to post on the WORLD WIDE WEB such atrocious homilies.

Content: F
Delivery: F

1:55 PM  
Blogger Dymphna said...

Somebody get Father a copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in La Canada and have stopped attending Mass at St. Bede's. Fr. Kevin can't remember why he became a priest. He doesn't know Catholic theology nor does he know the mind of the Church. He believes that a twisted, negative, liberal ideology that was common in the late 1960's - early 1970's is much superior. It is a very tired mentality whose time has come and gone. He is less than uninspiring. I can't imagine what he plans to do with himself. He doesn't know either. Let's pray for him!

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter